April 10, 2019
Do you have room to spare? Space in your heart for another family member? A desire to expand your family’s perspective of the world? MPA is seeking host families for several international students for the 2019-20 school year.
Our new students this year are finding great success, experiencing near-daily “firsts,” and loving their MPA journey. Between the adults in their school and home lives, our students feel supported, nurtured, and loved while living so far from their families. This is vital to their success and the strongest testament to everything our MPA host families and staff do to care for our international students.
We would love it if you and your family considered hosting an international student for next school year. As you and your family consider hosting, some logistical questions may arise. The information below is by no means an exhaustive list, but it may answer some of the initial questions you have and prompt additions ones as well:
- Host families are responsible for providing transportation to and from school and school-related activities.
- Host families are responsible for providing transportation to and from the airport when the student travels.
- Host families will work with their student in scheduling rides for social events.
- A 10-month stipend of $9,000 will be directly deposited in equal installments of $900/month on the first of each month for the previous month, September through June.
- An early installment of $500 will be deposited on August 1 in preparation of your student’s arrival; the remaining $400 will be deposited on September 1.
- The daily stipend rate of $30/day will be taken from and disbursed to host families who are providing respite care for a student, as needed.
- All international students will receive the MPA school lunch. Host families and students do not need to pack lunches.
- Host families are responsible for providing two meals on all weekdays and three meals on all weekend days.
- New-to-MPA students are being asked to arrive over the weekend of August 17-18, 2019.
- New students will have New International Student Orientation on August 20-23.
- Returning MPA students will probably arrive on/near August 26, preparing for the first day of school on August 28.
By hosting an international student, you and your family have a unique opportunity to bring the language, culture, and perspective of another country into your home, allowing for a truly rich, intercultural experience. The students will love to share their lives with you while becoming a part of your family, exploring Minnesota, and enjoying MPA student life all at the same time.
We hope you’ll consider opening your hearts and homes to one of our international students. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Sarah McFarland, International Student Program Coordinator and Advanced Language & Culture Teacher, at email@example.com or 651-777-2555.