February 12, 2020
College Counseling and the Upper School Advisory program are teaming up to provide career exploration opportunities for students! We are looking for MPA parents and alumni to share information about their careers with students who are starting to imagine where their talents could take them.
We plan to offer six different “career cluster” panels during Advisory meetings. Speakers will volunteer either Wednesday, April 8 or Wednesday, April 15 (time commitment roughly 10:45 AM to 12:30 PM). On each date, three different panels will be offered, featuring people presenting about their jobs, the paths that led to their current positions, and taking student questions.
If you are interested in being a panelist OR getting involved in future career programming, please complete our brief survey or contact Andrea Kaltved in College Counseling at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MPA sophomores are completing “career cluster” and Myers-Briggs assessments to tie in with their current general career interests. Next we hope to give them the chance to hear from people in fields that might hold interest for them. While all Upper School students are invited to participate, 10th graders will attend both sessions as a required part of the advisory program.
Panelists are asked to:
- Describe your job and summarize your preparation and career path. (Basically, how did you get to where you are today?)
- Note if there are now differences in what people must do in order to succeed in your field.
- Draw any connections from your career to high-school preparation, and make recommendations on college/university planning. (Are there specific majors to pursue or things to watch for in programs? Any specific types of institutions, certifications or experiences that students should seek out?)
- Recommend other things students can do to explore or lay the groundwork for entering your career (summer experiences, volunteering, etc.).
- Respond to student questions.
If you are interested in being a panelist or getting involved in future career programming, please complete our brief survey or contact Andrea Kaltved in college counseling at email@example.com.