New Family Orientations & Back To School Days
July 20, 2021
New Family Orientations and Back To School Days will be held on campus throughout August. These will be small events designed for maximum safety.
- PreK Family & Teacher Meetings: August 10-14, scheduled by sign-up
- PreK Playground Playdate & Family Orientation: August 19, 3-5 PM
- Kindergarten Back To School Day & New Family Orientation: August 20, 9-11 AM (New family arrival time: 8:45 AM. Returning family arrival time: 9:30 AM.)
- First Grade Back To School Day & New Family Orientation: August 23, 12-2 PM (New family arrival time: 11:45 AM. Returning family arrival time: 12:30 PM.)
- Second Grade Back To School Day & New Family Orientation: August 23, 3-5 PM (New family arrival time: 2:45 PM. Returning family arrival time: 3:30 PM.)
- Third Grade Back To School Day & New Family Orientation: August 24, 12-2 PM (New family arrival time: 11:45 AM. Returning family arrival time: 12:30 PM.)
- Fourth Grade Back To School Day & New Family Orientation: August 24, 3-5 PM (New family arrival time: 2:45 PM. Returning family arrival time: 3:30 PM.)
- Fifth & Sixth Grade Back To School Day & New Family Orientation: August 17, 6-8 PM (New family arrival time: 5:45. Returning family arrival time: 6:45 PM.)
- Seventh & Eighth Grade Back To School Day & New Family Orientation: August 19, 6-8 PM (New family arrival time: 5:45 PM. Returning family arrival time: 6:45 PM.)
- Ninth Grade Back To School Day & New Family Orientation: August 18, 6-8 PM (New family arrival time: 5:45 PM. Returning family arrival time: 6:45 PM.)
- 10th-12th Grade Back To School Day & New Family Orientation: August 23, 6-8 PM (New family arrival time: 5:45 PM. Returning family arrival time: 6:30 PM.)
Each of these Back To School Day & New Family Orientation events will include time with your division director as well as opportunities for students to meet their teachers, bring their school supplies, see their lockers, and walk their schedules (in Middle and Upper School). It will also include social time for returning and new students as well as their families.
To view these events in calendar form, click here.
Host An MPA International Student
July 19, 2021
Do you have room to spare? Space in your heart for another family member? A desire to expand your family’s perspective of the world? MPA is seeking host families for several international students for the 2021-22 school year.
Our new students this past year found great success, experiencing near-daily “firsts,” and are loving their MPA journey. Between the adults in their school and home lives, our students feel supported, nurtured, and loved while living so far from their families. This is vital to their success and the strongest testament to everything our MPA host families and staff do to care for our international students. Read More
Mounds Park Academy Closed July 3-11
July 1, 2021
Mounds Park Academy, including the building and grounds, business office, heads office, development, admissions, communications, athletics offices, and all division offices will be closed July 3-11, 2021. We appreciate your patience while employees spend time with their families. We will respond to emails and voicemails immediately upon our return!
Students Join Volunteers To Help Our Campus Flourish
June 30, 2021
This past year, our community volunteers found so many creative ways to stay connected and involved. Many found their time and love pouring into one of the newer additions to campus–our library gardens. Since the gardens just turned one year old this summer, this year is the first time that it has had volunteer tending to its plants and foraging its vegetables. While there are currently five dedicated parent volunteers, more recently, several Upper and Middle School student volunteers are spending their time taking care of our beloved outdoor space, too!
“The energy is wonderful. Cassie Atkinson has spearheaded the organization of things like the watering schedule (which is no small feat!), she has brought ideas and she even brought her Mum along, who spent a good couple of hours weeding,” said MPA parent and volunteer Michelle Mick. Read More
2021 Commencement Rescheduled
June 5, 2021
Due to the extreme heat advisory and air quality alert in place today, the Mounds Park Academy Class of 2021 Commencement outdoor event has shifted to Sunday, June 6 at 9 AM. This will help us ensure a safer and more pleasant graduation experience for our seniors and their families, as well as staff and faculty.
The entire community is invited to join us live on Facebook or YouTube for the Mounds Park Academy Class of 2021 Commencement! Thank you for supporting our students and cheering them on from afar as they graduate from MPA!
Watch live on Facebook >
Watch live on YouTube >
Two MPA Siblings’ Experience In The COVID-19 Vaccine Trial
June 3, 2021
by The Biring Family, featuring ninth grader Devneet and eighth grader Navreen!
COVID-19 has forever changed our world. What began as a scary unknown more than 18 months ago has now been largely conquered by vaccines that have given our country and the rest of the world a fighting chance to defeat this virus. The first vaccines against COVID-19 were approved for use in adults (and people ages 16 and above in the case of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine) in December 2020 with initial vaccines being given to high-risk groups including healthcare workers and elderly patients.
When our kids first found out that the vaccines had received emergency use authorization, they were excited! But that excitement quickly abated when they realized that vaccinations for younger populations were not likely to be available until at least the summer. Devneet and Navreen asked why would it take so long for them to get vaccinated, and we explained that there would need to be trials in the younger populations before the vaccines would be given to children. At that time, there were reports that it was difficult to get the necessary recruitment numbers for trials in children. Devneet and Navreen asked us if there was any possibility that they could be part of a trial. As vaccine rollouts continued in adults, both Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccine trial recruitments were underway for younger populations in various cities across the country. We found out that one of the city sites for the Moderna adolescent study was Minneapolis, and we inquired about details of the study.
Moderna began enrolling adolescents, ages 12-17, in a Phase 3 trial across the United States to evaluate the efficacy and safety of their COVID-19 vaccine. The trial is comprised of 3000 adolescents in a blinded study with 2/3 of volunteers receiving vaccine and 1/3 receiving placebo. This 13-month trial requires five clinic visits with two injections (at the initial appointment and one month later), four blood draws, four nasopharyngeal swabs, and electronic diary submissions. The trial will end in the spring of 2022. Read More
Become A Parents Association Grade Rep!
June 2, 2021
The Parents Association is looking forward to the incoming school year and the Grade Rep program, which is integral in building our school community. If you’re interested in becoming a grade rep for the 2021-2022 school year, please email Julie Bixby at email@example.com. If you’re currently a grade rep, thank you for all your work in keeping us together over this challenging year. The Parents Association will assume you want to continue as a grade rep unless you choose to opt out by contacting Julie Bixby.